Don’t miss our interview with Samantha Clayton about senior fitness and nutrition protocols!
Samantha is the VP of Sports Performance and Fitness Education at Herbalife Nutrition. She is responsible for all exercise and fitness education for their independent distributors and employees, and she leads a team that designs nutrition protocols for elite athletes. Clayton represented Great Britain at the 2000 Sydney Olympics in both the 200m and the 4x100m relay events. She wants everyone to understand the vital role exercise plays in living a healthier and happier lifestyle.
Samantha’s suggested nutrition protocol for active adults over 50:
– Recognize that age is very different for everyone and that we, individually, need to pay attention to our own bodies and what we need to adapt and change.
– Protein is key for all aging bodies.
– As our metabolism changes we need to pay more attention to the calories we consume.
– Exercise and nutrition are keys to keeping our lean muscle mass and metabolism strong.
– It’s important to get enough protein and hydration.
– In menopause women tend to sweat more so hydration is really crucial.
– Focus on bone health which may include supplementing with calcium and Vit D Brain health needs exercise and may include supplementing with omega 3 fatty acids.
Samantha’s keys to active aging:
– Try for 30 minutes of exercise 5x a week. for your heart, brain, bones and joint health.
– Resistance training a minimum of 3x a week and cardio every day.
– Know your family history and look back at what was happening, health wise, with family members when they were your present age.
Samantha’s advice for Aging Enthusiastically was to understand:
– Aging is something we are doing from the moment we are born, every single day.
– Have the mindset that we are going to get better as we age, like fine wine.
– We get to control certain things like lifestyle and nutrition.
– Understand the power of your choices. Realize you have the ability to change things.
– You can change and improve your fitness.
– Be hungry for knowledge.
Connect with Samantha Clayton:
You can find Samantha at Herbalife here: https://herbalifenutritionfitness.com/trainers/samantha-clayton/
Thanks for watching!